Monday, October 1, 2012

Carter: Four Months


Monkey,
You are FOUR MONTHS old today! One-third of a year! It may sound weird, but it finally feels like all of this is real and you are ours forever.  I think in the beginning it was all surreal and it felt like you couldn't really be ours...surely there was a mix-up and God confused us for another couple.  But alas, you are ALL OURS during your time here on Earth and I thank God everyday that he entrusted you to us.  This life we have been living the past four months really is the best kind of happiness there is, truly.  You have completed us in a way we didn't know needed completing and I just pray that we are giving you the best little life possible.

You no longer feel like an infant to me and I can look back at your baby pictures and see a big difference.  You have more than doubled your size since birth, which is just CrAzY to me!  Your little personality is really starting to shine through and we have so much fun watching you discover the world and all of your surroundings.

I can finally say that you truly are a happy baby.  There was a time when I would have said the opposite when I think your tummy was getting the better of you.  But *knock on wood* I think we are past our tummy and reflux issues.  Dr K gave us permission to try and go without the Zantac and see how you do.  You still toot constantly, but I don't think that will ever change.  :)

You have discovered your hands this month and are content to sit and play with them in your mouth all day.  You still don't take your paci consistently, especially now that your hands are so interesting.  You will take your paci during the day when you are trying to nap and in the car but that's about it.  You keep trying to grab at your feet so I'm sure once you officially discover those you will have even more fun!

Your nighttime sleep is so good.  You get tired around 7-7:30 but I try to stretch you until about 8:30 to give Daddy a chance to get home and see you.  He makes it home about 1/2 of the time, ha! You are still sleeping in the rock-n-play in our room.  I'm not sure when we will move you to your nursery...I'm sure one day I will decide it's time and we will just make the move right then.  Even if we are out an about you will go to sleep in your stroller or in someones arms and just sleep through any commotion going on.  I truly think you sleep better with a lot of noise than in the quiet.  Silly boy.  You sleep from about 8:30pm-8:30am waking once between 4-6am to nurse and then right back to sleep.  No complaining here!  This morning I actually had to wake you up at 9:30! You definitely got your mommas sleep gene.  :)

Your daytime sleeps has room for improvement.  You sleep great in your swing, in the Moby, in my arms or in the car, but you WILL NOT sleep if I put you down in your crib or rock-n-play.  Thankfully we are both content to just sit and rock all day, but I know we need to start getting you to nap on your own.  I don't think you will ever be a great napper, opting instead for catnaps here and there.  Even in my arms you max out after about 30 minutes.  I guess I'll take the daytime catnaps as long as your nighttime sleep stays so good.

You are nursing every 3 hours during the day and are hungry exactly at 3 hours.  You have this funny little breathy cry that you do to let me know that you are hungry.  You still take your time nursing for about 20 minutes on each side. I've gotten better at nursing you out in public- you've nursed at Chick-fil-A, several football stadiums, Memorial City Mall, both grandparents houses, Los Cucos, in church and at play group.  You will take a bottle reluctantly but never if I'm in the vicinity- it's like you know I'm there and can get it straight from the source instead.  Sneaky little guy :)

You are constantly smiling and laughing these days.  I swear you smile in your sleep and wake up laughing.  Such a sweet sound!  You smile at everything and everyone- you honestly smile more than you don't and enjoy having people smile back at you.  You have definitely discovered your voice and "talk" all the time, especially right after you wake up and before you go to sleep at night.  Your favorite is talking to Daddy at night before you go to bed, if he is home.  Otherwise, you talk to Mama just fine.  :)

Your hair is officially falling out.  I was hoping this wouldn't happen and just as I decided we were in the clear you started balding.  Poor baby.  You are rocking a pretty cool cul-de-sac right now!  Hopefully it will all come back in quickly and you won't be bald for too long.  I love your hair!

You have no idea what rolling over is and act like you could care less to do so.  You love laying on your back on your play mat or on the bed, especially if we stand over you and talk to you, or if there are lights or a fan to watch.  When you are on your belly you slowing push your arms further and further out in front of you until you are flat on your belly and then you fall asleep.  I swear you will be a stomach sleeper once you decide you want to roll over.  You insist on being held facing "out" so you can see the world.  And you love to "stand" on our laps and "jump" around.

Baby boy, peanut, mini, Monkey, pumpkin, stinky face, stink pot, sugar dumplin'...we love you so very much.  Please know that our hearts are full and our cup overflows with the joy you bring to us everyday.  We love having you here and being your parents.  To the moon and back...


4 Month Stats:
Weight: 13 pounds, 12 ounces (20%)
Length: 24.5 inches (20%)
Eating: nursing exclusively (around 4am, 8:30am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8:0opm)
Bedtime: around 8:30pm
Awake: around 8:30am
Naps: around 10am, 12:30pm, 3:30pm and 6:30pm
Diapers: we moved you to size 2 Huggies on September 22
Clothes: 0-3 months
Favorites: talking, smiling and laughing
Development: holds head steady, bears weight on legs when supported, turns head in response to our voices, brings hands together, laughs

4 comments:

Nicole Kallina said...

Carter is growing so fast! He is so adorable Amanda!

Laura said...

UMMM excuse me,I think you mean Stink Pot Jr. You know I'm the original Stink Pot! P.S. He is the cutest little boy I've ever seen.

Gillian said...

So sweet!! Interestingly, my doctor told me that refluxy/colicky babies prefer loud noises and sleep better in loud places. So Carter is in good company! And the naps will come... Cam was exactly like Carter and now takes two two-hour naps a day. So don't fret :)

Robby and Stephanie said...

So precious:) Love that little guy...