Thursday, October 25, 2012

Must Haves: 0-3 Months

This is a little late, but I'm counting it as on-time since he's still wearing 0-3 clothes.  :)

There are so many things you need right away when you have a baby (diapers, car seat, blankets, etc) so these are the specific things I liked and want to make sure I have for numero dos:

1) Rock-n-Play
This is my NUMBER ONE recommendation for all expectant mamas.  We literally would not have survived, especially with the reflux, without our Rock-n-Play.  Originally I had Carter in the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper since I wanted something compact beside the bed, but once the reflux hit he needed to be on an incline.  Enter the RnP.  It cradles their little bodies perfectly so I think he feels like he's in our arms.  If he starts rustling in the night I can reach over and rock him a little and he will usually go right back to sleep.  And it folds flat so we can easily take it everywhere.  Even after my c-section I could pick it up, with him inside, and move it from room to room with no problem.  Worth every penny!

2) aden + anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets
These are the BEST blankets!  These days Carter spends a lot of time chewing on them, but they are the perfect swaddle blanket.  The material makes it easy to keep tucked in and not unravel, folds flat for the diaper bag, and they are lightweight enough that they won't get too hot (important for summer babies.)  We would swaddle Carter in one of these, and then put him inside the Summer Swaddle Me and he never broke out of his swaddle.  They are a bit $$$ but sold everywhere so easy to add to your registry. 

3) Summer Swaddle Me
Again, use these and the aden + anais blankets and you've got yourself the world's best swaddle.  Carter still sleeps in his and he's 4.5 months!  :)

4) Zipper sleepers
I don't think Carter wore anything BUT a zipper sleeper his first month of life.  All it took was one night waking to nurse every 2 hours dealing with one million snaps for me to go out and buy all new sleepers...ones with zippers!  Seriously, why do they make these with snaps at all?!? I like the Just One You by Carter's brand at Target.  They seem to fit Carter the best and feel the softest.  

5) Glider
I bought this glider for the nursery thinking I would use it all the time, but I honestly use this one (pictured) that my sister leant me more.  We put it in the living room and this is where I nurse Carter 99% of the time.  I wish I had one for every room in my house!  
Side note- I HATED this thing while I was pregnant, it hurt my back so badly.  Now it's my favorite chair, even when I'm not holding Carter.  

6) Swing
It took a few tries before we found a swing Carter would use, but now this is apart of our daily life.  Carter takes his morning nap in this swing every morning and will hang out in it even while awake.  He loves looking in the mirror above his head and watching the birdies on the mobile.  I use the water sound on the sound machine part and he sleeps so soundly.  I like that you can turn the seat because Carter prefers to swing "front-to-back" and not "side-to-side" if that makes sense.  

7) Baby K'Tan
I saw this recommended on another blog while I was pregnant, so even though I had never heard of it I added it to my registry.  I'm so glad I did because it was the only way I got anything done when Carter was itty-bitty!  I liked the idea of wearing Carter, but wanted something that felt really snug and secure.  The K'Tan was perfect for that!  It's not a long piece of fabric so it's super easy to carry with you and get on and off.  There's several different ways to wear it, depending on baby's size.  It's sized according to mom, so keep that in mind before you order one.  

8) Gas drops
There are several brands of gas drops, but just look for the main ingredient simethicone.  We used the Target or HEB brand most of the time.  A lot of people say they don't work, but I think they made a difference for Carter.  He's so very gassy and these drops help take the big gas bubbles and make them small gas bubbles so they can pass it easier.  We kept a bottle in the diaper bag, nursery, nightstand, car, etc

There are so many other things I loved (our Orbit stroller!!) but these are the ones that come to mind when I think of the "extras" that I really liked the first few months.  :)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Great advice, thanks!!
We have all of these except the glider purchased.