Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Our Journey to Twins, Part Two

So after our second ultrasound where were saw TWO heartbeats, I started to stress.  I'll admit that afternoon was rough.  I spent a lot of time freaking out, crying, and praying (probably should have reversed that list.)  I called Dr P to see if she even thought a twin pregnancy was possible for me after all of the problems I had with Carter's pregnancy.  She called me back late that afternoon and assured me that it was definitely possible for me to safely carry twins and that she would do everything she could to ensure healthy delivery at full-term.  After talking to her, I felt much better.

I should also mention that in between our ultrasounds on Friday and Tuesday we told our families the news.  Everyone knew we had attempted another IUI and we had already told them we weren't pregnant (remember...I started my period) so they were REALLY shocked to find out I actually WAS pregnant.  So I spent Tuesday afternoon calling everyone and telling them about our TWO babies.  :)

Well...it wouldn't be an Amanda McDaniel pregnancy if something didn't go wrong.  Right?!  The night of our first football game (August 29...I was 7w2d) I started bleeding.  And cramping.  I just knew we were losing the babies.  But the next morning I went in for an ultrasound and there were two heartbeats on the screen, both as healthy as can be.  It turns out I have a subchorionic hematoma in my uterus, between my cervix and the babies.  I was put on bed rest for that weekend and made an appointment to see Dr P the next week.

Since then my pregnancy has been pretty normal, except we have had weekly ultrasounds to monitor the hematoma.  I've actually been to the OB and RE for ultrasounds each week since week 8, so these babies have LOTS of pictures!! The hematoma has prevented me from picking up Carter (or anything, really) so our lives have really changed a lot and we've had to have a lot of help with things.  We lived with Matt's parents for a week while I was on bed rest.  Then we figured out how we could move back home and modify Carter's schedule so that I could still take care of him.  We transitioned him into his toddler bed, which was much easier than we thought it would be, so that I don't have to pick him up out of his crib.  We also transitioned his high chair into a booster seat and set it on the floor so he can climb in and out of it on his own.  The only thing I need help with is getting him in and out of the carseat, so someone always has to come over and help me.  Thankfully, all of our family lives closeby so this hasn't been too big of a burden on anyone.  I can still drive, so either of our moms has helped me get him to and from preschool each week.  And on days when he doesn't have preschool we just stay at home.  ALL.DAY.LONG.  It's pretty torturous being at home all day with a toddler, but I guess the silver lining is it's prepping me for bed rest?!?

This past week was my last (ever!) appointment with Dr H and HFI, which makes me a "graduate!"  They gifted me with a nice canvas bag and two little HFI onesies...darling! I can't wait to go back with all THREE of my little blessings and take a picture with Dr H for his wall!

Currently the hematoma is preventing me from getting my cerclage, so prayers are definitely needed that the hematoma shrinks and dissolves quickly.  I have two appointments scheduled for this week and you better believe that I'm planning for that thing to be GONE!! I never want to hear the word "hematoma" again in my life!

As far as symptoms, I've felt pretty awful.  The word "exhausted" doesn't seem to fully cover what I've been feeling.  I'm taking a nap pretty much every day and still going to bed by 8:30 or 9:00.  I wake up tired, I'm tired throughout the day, and go to bed tired.  Interestingly enough, I have a lot of trouble staying asleep at night.  I've also had terrible morning sickness.  I know it's all the progesterone pulsing through my veins, but I'm so ready to be in my second trimester.  I'm too busy to be feeling this tired and this sick.  Also, my face has broken out so badly I don't know if I will ever look the same.  And my belly popped about as soon as we learned it was twins.  Dr P says I should be measuring about 8 weeks ahead, which is about how I look.  There is no way this would have stayed a secret any longer since I am already in maternity clothes and showing pretty big.

So that's our journey!  Dr P plans to follow our same course from Carter's pregnancy: cerclage as soon as possible, progesterone injections starting at week 16, steroid shots starting at week 24, bed rest at some point (praying not until January!) and delivery sometime between week 34 and 36...so sometime in March.  I know God has His own plan, but this is what we have laid out in front of us right now and we will take the rest as it comes.  Hopefully my body got all it's tricks out during Carter's pregnancy and this will be normal and boring!!

Thank you God for these two little blessings!! 

2 comments:

Shelly Phig said...

MUST SEE BELLY PICS!!! I haven't taken any yet, but I know you have

Jacana28 said...

I will also be considered high risk during my next pregnancy (I had a 26 weeker the first time) and my course of action will be very similar to yours with the shots, bed rest and possible cerclage. I will be following along and praying for you!