Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Football season is like childbirth...

You quickly forget as soon as it's over how long, painful and lonely it is.  I'm so thankful God wipes these bitter feelings from me each December so I can gear up to do it all over again every year (football...not childbirth.)

These past 2 weeks have been hard.  Matt's been working 16 hour days and Carter's all over the place trying to get on a schedule.  We've had more good days than bad ones, but the bad days are bad.  Thankfully his night sleep is still going strong.  When Matt gets home (if I'm still awake) all he wants to do is eat and crash whereas I want to finally have some adult interaction.  This whole stay at home gig is hard, much harder than I thought it would be.  And lonely.  I'm sure Cooper and Carter are tired of hearing me babble to them all day, lol.

We are trying to learn to honor each others needs; Matt's need to "decompress" when he walks in for a few minutes and my need to connect to him and the real world.  Matt has some extra stress this year with having his own classroom and being DC and I can only imagine the overload his brain is feeling this first week of school.

But I'm still really excited.  I can't wait to take Carter to his first game and cheer on Matt and our Tigers from the stands.  As hard and as time consuming as Matt's job is it's also so much fun.  Who else can say they have 5,000+ people come to their job site and cheer them on each week?  I'm so proud of the work he is doing with these boys and this school.  And I remind myself of that each night when I'm eating dinner by myself.

And here's an obligatory pic of C so this post isn't too boring.  We definitely have ourselves a stomach sleeper.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Amanda! I can totally relate to the loneliness and needing adult time, and even with a 17 month old, I still can't wait for Chris to walk in the door each night, and am 99% of the time disappointed to have him needing that "down time" too. It does get better though because that little boy will be running around making you laugh and cry before you know it. God is good and he even though no one tells you how hard it really is to spend all day alone with a baby, how incredibly lucky we are to not have to miss out on this precious time!!!

Amy said...

Right there with you! When adam isn't out of town, I still barely see him! He leaves for work at 5:30am and gets home at 7:30 - time to shower, bathe Bennett and go to bed :( LOL It has been 11:00oclock and I am just babbling away to him, not even sure if he is awake! I keep telling myself things will get easier the older Bennett gets!

Gillian said...

Amanda,

I found your blog through Amanda's and just want to say I can relate to EVERYTHING you say. I have a nine month old who suffered from severe colic and reflux, I'm a former teacher turned stay at home mom, and it's all been a rollercoaster! Let me assure you (as I know so many have!) that it really truly gets better every month! I still have my lonely days, but I've forced myself to sign up for some Mommy and Me classes and that has helped a lot. Hope Carter's reflux is under control now.. that certainly adds to the exhaustion and stress! Hang in there and come visit me over at doseofhappiness.blogspot.com. I made a few posts about reflux that I hope can help you!

Anonymous said...

it is super hard.. so hard I ended up having to go back to work. when your spouse works a lot the first thing you want to do is talk, the first thing they want to do is have quiet. i personally wasnt cut out for the stay at home gig. i hope you figure it all out for y'all.