Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School


Honestly, I thought this transition to stay home with Carter would be super easy, but it has surprisingly thrown me for a loop.  I found myself wishing I was at school today greeting kids, planning lessons and enjoying lunch with my teacher friends.  I'm hoping that once this first week of school is over I will be 100% at peace with my decision to stay home and chalk up these emotions to nostalgia.  Only time will tell.

Matt left this morning at 5:45 and came home after 9:00.  I forget how lonely football season is.

I came home from the grocery store today right when the elementary school in our neighborhood was releasing.  There were parents, kids, bikes, wagons and dogs everywhere...it was too cute!  I cried thinking of Carter having his first day of school in 5 years (one of the two times I cried today.)

Today was the first time in the last 24 years that I haven't been going to my own first day of school.  

Today my very first group of 7th graders start their freshmen year of college.  

Today I started college 10 years ago.  10 years.  I remember my first class was psychology and I made a friend sitting outside the building because we were both wearing our Tri Delt pledge jerseys.  It's funny...the random, most insignificant things you remember.

To celebrate today I went and got a manicure.  Red!  4 days to kick-off! 

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I really understand how you're feeling! I teach middle school (6th grade) and this is my 6th year. Initially, I planned to go back at the end of October, but I've since changed that to the beginning of October. Through being home for so long with both the new baby and my preschooler, I have realized that my long term dream of being a stay-at-home-mom is totally not for me. It was a crushing realization as it is really what I have ALWAYS thought that I wanted to do! I felt the same way that you did when all of my friends (99% of them are teachers) were going back to school and I wasn't! I'm sure the you'll get used to it with time and do GREAT at being at home!!

Brittany said...

It's definitely a strange feeling, BUT you will never ever regret it! :)