Friday, April 13, 2012

The Name Game

Okay people, we need some help over here.  It's been 12 weeks since we found out our little one is a boy and we just CANNOT seem to find a name we like/agree on.  I thought this would be easier, but naming our child has proven to be very difficult for us.

I think the fact that we call him "Monkey" all the time hasn't helped.  We have made a conscience effort the past 2 weeks to not call him Monkey and practice saying our favorite names to see what sounds the best and feels most natural.  We still haven't found THE name, but we have narrowed our list.

Here's our criteria:

  • obviously can't be a name of a family member or friends' baby
  • I would prefer a name that is two syllables, it's not a deal-breaker
  • nothing that ends in the letter 's'
  • spelled like it sounds
  • not too common but not too weird
  • Matt would prefer something that can be shortened (Matthew/Matt)
Alright, so here's what we have so far.  Let me know your thoughts!

Carter Ryan
  • my maiden name + his middle name
  • special since it has meaning
  • can't be shortened
  • not Matt's favorite
Jackson Ryan
  • we both LOVE Jackson
  • Matt wants to nickname him Jack Mac, which I think is just precious and the perfect little football name
  • pretty popular name
  • worried that Jack McDaniel is WAY too close to Jack Daniels
  • also worried that Monkey would feel the need to drink excessive amounts of JD while in college to "live up to his name"
Michael _______
  • haven't decided on the perfect middle name to go with this one yet
  • Matt has a cousin named Michael already
  • cute since we could call him Michael, Mike, Mikey
  • Matt likes the alliteration of Michael McDaniel
William Matthew or William Michael
  • Matt's mom's maiden name, so it has meaning
  • William, Will, Bill, Billy...all very basic names, which we like
  • it doesn't sound "right" when we say it
  • Matt HATES Bill and Billy and wants to scrap the name for fear that someone would call him Bill one day
Other names on the list: Tanner, Luke and Andrew.  And accepting all other recommendations!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carter Ryan is beautiful, and definitely the best one on the list!

Sara said...

Hi Amanda! I love "Carter Ryan" - love the meaning, love the sound, it's my favorite of your list!!
We enjoyed the process of naming our boys. It's so hard, though! Some names that remained on our list are Nolan and Colson (Cole). My husband Ryan never felt comfortable with Nolan, because "what if someone calls out to the both of us - like 'hey, Nolan and Ryan!'" ;) Oh, the things you think of when you're trying to decide on the name that will be with your child for their entire life! I wish you and Matt all the best in this - your little guy will have the perfect name.

Brittany said...

You have so many great choices! Normally, I never like to give my opinion when someone is naming their baby, but since you asked for help, I will! I love, love Carter, especially since it was your maiden name. If it's not Matt's favorite (Preston wasn't Chris' favorite for a first name either), you could always use it for a middle name! What about Jackson Carter since you both love Jackson? I love the Jack Mac nickname. ;) I will say that being an elementary teacher made me see that there are lots of Jacksons, but you shouldn't let that stop you if it's your favorite. I also saw Andrew on your list and think Andrew (Andy, Drew) Carter would be so cute!! It will be perfect no matter which one you decide on!! Can't wait to hear what you choose!

Katy said...

Well...seeing as I am partial to Matthew... :)

I totally agree with Brittany on Jackson Carter or Andrew Carter. I love both of those! I think the abbreviated version of both are really cute and they both sound good all together!

Lisa said...

I'm loving Carter Ryan! Jackson Ryan sounds great too but I have so many friends with babies named Jackson. I love the meaning behind Carter Ryan. William I also love because obviously that's hubbys name. I agree with the fear of shortning it to Bill...I mean really, you know Hubby's nickname :):) I like Andrew Carter as well. You can't go wrong with any of these! Your dog has one of my favorite names but that one is obviously not going to work. LOL

Amy said...

I love Carter Ryan and the meaning behind it! I do love William too - but I would fear he would be call Billy too! lol My fear is people will call Bennett "ben", and I will not let that happen!

Mechelle said...

I LOVE Carter Ryan. But, in order to please your two-syllable desire and Matt's want to shorten the name, how about Michael Carter McDaniel? Alliteration (which I love), meaning with your maiden name, two syllables and can be shortened.

Allena said...

I like Carter Ryan the best for the way it sounds and for the meaning.

Anonymous said...

Carter Ryan gets my vote!!! It is perfect name for your little boy! Of course I love all the names you chose!