Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cholestasis

First, I have to say that I'm absolutely laughing right now because of the ridiculous amount of crazy stuff that is happening to me this pregnancy.

Raise your hand if you are surprised I've developed a condition that happens in 1 out of every 1000 pregnancies.  Anyone...didn't think so.

I mentioned in my 30 week post that I had been itchy and told my doctor at my appointment today (more like cried to her and begged for mercy from the itching God's) thinking it was not related to my pregnancy at all but she might be able to give me something for relief.  Apparently, extreme itching in your 3rd trimester is actually something to do with your gallbladder and liver that I didn't really understand, but is pretty serious.  So she did some blood work and we will get the results back on Monday. You can read more about cholestasis here.

In the meantime my Rx: eat an apple a day (you only thought that would keep the doctor away), drink more water and lay in the pool.  Seriously.  Something about the sunlight helps my bile levels and whatnot (like jaundice in babies) and will initially make the itching worse, but will help soothe my skin more overall.  Right after my doctor appointment I had a fitting for nursing bras with a midwife and she gave me some homeopathic recipe of fruit juices to drink that she prescribes to her patients. Whatever works!

Off to the pool! :)

2 comments:

Sara said...

My sister in law had that with her last two pregnancies! No kidding! She said she only felt relief when she was sitting in the pool. Thankfully it's warm enough to do so right now, right? I hope you do find relief with that, Amanda. Hang in there!

Mechelle said...

You can come sit on my pool ledge any day. Whether we are here or not. Just come on over. Side garage door is unlocked, turn on the tunes...whatever.