Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Trip to Labor & Delivery

Well...spent the day in L&D today...fun times.

Friday I started feeling bad- backache, stomachache, overall feeling of just "yuck."  I thought maybe it was just the uncomfortable part of pregnancy settling in early and started sleeping on a heating pad for my back Saturday night.  Sunday I woke up at 5:30 in PURE AGONY.  Everything hurt, I was sweating profusely, freezing cold, shaking, vomiting and having Braxton Hicks.  Not fun.  I spent all day Sunday and most of the day on Monday in bed trying to keep liquids down unsuccessfully.

Today I tried to go to work and lasted from about 6:40-7:30 and then had to go home.  My stomach was really hurting- but it was weird like I couldn't have anything touching my belly and couldn't wait to get home and take my pants off and get some sweatpants on.  Thankfully my friend Lauren was there and was able to jump right in before 1st period started to sub for me.  I don't know what I would have done if she wouldn't have already been on campus and I would have had to stay until a sub got there while worrying about getting sub plans together.  Lauren saved my life today.

I went home and changed and laid in bed until the doctors office opened at 8:30.  I had called the nurse on Monday worried that I had a stomach virus so she knew I wasn't feeling well and was worried as soon as she heard me call again today.  (Side note- I love everyone at my doctors office, including all the nurses I've never ever met except over the phone.  They are all so sweet and take such good care of me.)  She talked to Dr. P and called me back and said I was definitely dehydrated and probably still hanging onto my stomach virus so I needed to go straight to labor and delivery so they could monitor Monkey and get me some fluids.

Matt's mom picked me up and we got to the hospital about 10am and checked right into a bed in triage.  My mom was walking inside right when we got there so she came upstairs with us.  We were able to listen to Monkey for a little while until he started kicking the monitor, lol.  They also monitored me for contractions which I was having one every thirty minutes or so!  I couldn't feel them but I could tell whenever I had one because my belt on my stomach would get really tight and we could see the contraction on the monitor.


My nurse said it was nothing to worry about and between my dehydration, vomiting and virus it was completely normal.  She said she would start worrying when I was having over 5 contractions per hour.  

So they hooked me up to an IV and fed me a bag of fluids over the course of the day.  I feel so much better now- it's amazing how much a difference a little bit of water makes! I had some jello and sprite before I went home and kept that down so I was able to leave around 4pm.  I'm off work tomorrow and maybe Thursday and on strict doctors orders to stay in bed and have only liquids.  

BIG THANKS to Mrs. Diana and my mom for hanging out with me all day, and for Lauren for leaving me nothing to worry about at work.  Goodnight! 

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no Amanda!! I am sending prayers your way! Try and get as much rest as you can and drink some fluids!

Robby and Stephanie said...

Glad to hear you and my little nephew are doing better!