Friday, February 24, 2012

On My Nightstand: Belly Laughs


I had heard of this book before we got pregnant and made a mental list to buy the book once we were finally with child.  I'd heard great things from friends who read it and have seen lots of reviews on other blogs about how funny Jenny McCarthy is.  I actually bought it around Christmas and it has been sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read.  

Today I finally ventured out of the house for a pedicure (I figured this was okay because 1) I was sitting the entire time, and 2) I needed it) and brought Belly Laughs along with me because I didn't feel like dragging the iPad along.  I kid you not, I finished the entire book during my pedicure.  I didn't look at the clock, but I think I was probably there an hour and a half, so it was a quick read.  It has 42 chapters that are each 2-6 pages so it would be good to keep in your purse if you just have a minute or two to read at a time.  Perfect book for the bathroom.  :)

Y'all, this book is hi-larious.  She is crude and truthful about EVERYTHING pregnancy and delivery related, but didn't scare the scrap out of me with any of her details.  It's the dirty, nasty truth spelled out for you.  As a first time mom I was flipping pages pretty fast, but I also made a mental note to re-read with subsequent pregnancies (God-willing).  

This book is good for anyone in any stage of pregnancy.  I've ordered a lot of books online and am keeping them for later so a lot of the information is fresh on my mind, but this came at the perfect time.  I have experienced enough symptoms to be able to laugh with her stories, but still have a ways to go so I was still able to laugh at the rest of them.  

If you are still not convinced, just take a look at some of the table of contents:
  • I Can Either Pee On You or You Can Get the Hell Out of My Way! (Frequent Pee Breaks)
  • Passing Stonehenge (Constipation)
  • Can I Have a Mustard Sandwich with Pickles, Anchovies, Peanut Butter, and a Little Cottage Cheese?...Oh, and Throw a Few Fish Sticks on There! (Cravings)
  • I Just Need to Lie Down for, Like, Five Minutes...Okay, Maybe Three Months (Sleepiness)
See what I'm talking about?  

No comments: