Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Must Haves: 3-6 Months

I found this post unfinished sitting in my drafts folder.  Ooops! I wish I had finished it at the time, but fortunately we still didn't need too much at this time.  Most of this is just what I can pull from memory and photos that I want to have saved for future babies.

1) Latchy catchy

When we moved Carter into his room at 5 months he was still a very light sleeper.  I would rock him to sleep, gently move him to his crib and tiptoe out of the room while praying he wouldn't wake up.  I put one of these on his door so that I wouldn't wake him up as I left and entered the room.  It has been a lifesaver and we still keep it on his door now that he is 10 months.  (Except now Cooper knows how to open Carter's door, but that's nothing that a baby gate can't solve.)

2) Moby wrap/ Baby Bjorn
Mason 21 months, Carter 6 months




We did a lot of baby-wearing when Carter was younger (and less active!)  I preferred the Moby, Matt liked the Baby Bjorn and Carter enjoyed both! He's definitely one of those babies that prefers to be held or in your lap (we're still trying to break that one) so wearing him allowed us to do things around the house or even go places without him being unhappy.  In fact, my favorite day of the week was always Mondays when we went to the grocery store because it meant a guaranteed long nap in the Moby!  At home when he was super fussy the Moby was always my go-to calming method.  I haven't tried it in awhile but I'm sure Carter would still enjoy being worn. 

3) Bumbo




Around 5ish months Carter was big and strong enough to sit up assisted in the Bumbo and that opened up a whole new world to us.  Need 10 minutes to get ready in the morning...bumbo.  Need to eat dinner with baby close by...bumbo.  First bite of rice cereal...bumbo.  And it's easy to transport so when we would eat dinner at someone else's house we would just bring the bumbo for Carter with us.  And it you don't put too much water in the bathtub it serves as a great bath chair too!

4) Teethers/ Hyland's Teething Tablets

Teething hit our house HARD after Carter turned 4 months and has not let up since.  Although Carter favors his fingers, we get by with lots of teething toys, Tylenol and Hyland's Teething Tablets.  I'm even debating on trying one of those amber teething necklaces.  I swear I would spend every penny I had if there was a cure-all for teething!

5) Excersaucer


We really didn't start using his exersaucer until he was closer to 6 months, but once he was wanting to move around more it was (and still is) so handy.  In the beginning it was helpful with him learning how to hold himself up.  Then it entertained him for extended periods of time with the lights and sounds.  When he was tall enough for his feet to touch the bottom he started bouncing and just thought it was the coolest thing!  It has 3 height levels and we are on the highest setting right now, so soon we will be transitioning it to an activity table.  One of my favorite memories was watching and cheering as he learned how to move the monkeys from one side of the arc to the other.  Matt and I cheered like he had just thrown the winning touchdown at the superbowl! My only complaint is the song the lizard sings, "red....yellow....and bluuuuuue" Ugh! So annoying!

6) Some good cousins








These aren't really a "must have" but they sure are nice to have! :)

No comments: