Friday, July 6, 2012

Reflux

My poor baby...reflux.  Not what this Momma wanted to hear.

We mentioned to Dr K on Monday that baby was having trouble sleeping in his bassinet at night, but did fine in the cradle, which has a slight incline.  She told us it might be the beginning of reflux and to come back in if we noticed any other symptoms.

I've been watching him closely all week and noticed that he was happy as a clam as long as he wasn't laying flat on his back.  Diaper changes, his activity mat and his bassinet were all unhappy places for my normally sweet, happy baby.  He doesn't spit up (knock on wood) so I was hesitant that he really had reflux.
Well, yesterday he started fighting his feedings and would only eat for a few minutes at a time.  He would always cut himself short and then scream...break my heart.  I knew he was starving but in so much pain that he didn't want to eat.  There is nothing more heartbreaking than knowing your baby is in pain.

 So now we are taking Pre.vacid and raising the head of his bassinet to help my little baby's sensitive tummy.  Matt is also going to need a second job to pay for this prescription!  

 The good news is that baby was 8 pounds 4 ounces today! Up 6 ounces from Monday even with the missed feedings and reflux!

Any other reflux momma's out there?  Any tips?  How long until the reflux was manageable without medication?

6 comments:

Katy said...

Reflux Mama X2 here! Jonathan was on Previcid and Matthew is on Zantac. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help his little tummy. As far as the prescription...my sister in law is a pharmacist and always reminds me to check company websites for coupons, ask pediatricians for samples and to see if there is another medication that could offer the same results. For example, we use Zantac now because it is a much easier form to administer than the Previcid was. Same result, easier/cheaper medication.

Good luck! Reflux is a bummer :(

Mechelle said...

Jami had reflux..really bad. My doctor told me at one point if she had to sleep in her carrier or the swing for the first year, then to let her do it. It was AWFUL! I'd feed her, burp her and love on her. It did not matter how long I waited to put her down to change her/let her sleep. As soon as she was horizontal, she'd turn her head and pump all the milk she'd just had right back out. They put her on a medicine at one point...not one of the ones you mentioned, but a script. It helped so much. She was pretty good by 3 months.

Amy said...

Poor baby Carter :( We don't have issues with reflux yet, but might possibly have a colicy baby. Sending our prayers and hope it corrects itself very soon!!

Gillian said...

My almost 8 month old had HORRENDOUS reflux. Up until month 4, he puked up everything and cried a lot. We are on Prevacid (the solutabs that you dissolve yourself). If you are using the pre-made liquid, be sure you renew the prescription every 2 weeks. I know.. drain the bank! Also, one of the BEST products we used was a Rock n Play sleeper. Our big guy slept in it until 6 months old. It's essentially an elevated bassinett and saved us. It was the only place he'd sleep, and it was super easy to travel with, too! Best $50 we spent. I am a total random commentor, I know, but my heart breaks for any parents and babies I see going through this horrible time. Hang in there. It DOES get better!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yea.. reflux. we had that.. then it turned to colicy kind of behavior. wah. BUT then it all magically disappeared at 4 mo! yah, there is hope.
Also, if you want to spend a lil money, the NAP NANNY works WONDERS.

Anonymous said...

Oh and gas drops.. THOSE help A LOT A LOT . also bouncing.. a lot.
:)