Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Must Haves: Hospital edition

So more of my must-haves, this time for the trip to the hospital.

We had an extended stay with my c-section, blood pressure and Carter's oxygen issues so we stayed 4 nights in the hospital.  Personally, I loved being there and was treated like a queen!  Matt, on the other hand, was anxious to get home, probably so he could sleep in his own bed.  One of my days was spent on magnesium so it's kind of a blur, but since I couldn't get out of bed I didn't really need anything anyways.

Here's what I will not leave the house without next time:
1) My own pillow with a colored pillowcase
The hospital pillows are nice, but lumpy and not long enough for me.  It was especially nice for me since I wasn't really moving around my room for the first 24 hours.  Matt and I both brought our own pillows and it was easy with all the room changes to know which ones were ours with the blue pillowcases.

2) Comfy house shoes
After a c-section they make you walk the halls several times a day, plus people are always in and out of your room visiting the baby.  Between trips to the bathroom, trips to the nursery and walking I was on my feet quite a bit the last two days.  It was nice to have comfy shoes that I could still wear in bed if I needed to and could slip on my feet without any assistance.  Plus, with my swelling there's no way a regular pair of shoes would have fit on my feet!

3) Robe
This is obvious, but I really liked my knee-length one that was very thin.  I was sweating up a storm and had I brought my long, fluffy one that I use after my showers I would have been miserable.

4) Technology
Life-saver! Matt brought some connection thing that transferred all of our pictures from our camera to the iPad and we were easily able to show all of our visitors the thousands of pictures we had taken.  Plus having the iPad there while I was laid up in bed allowed me to read from my Kindle app, be on the internet and play games.  What did people do before iPads?!?  Also our phones, video camera and regular camera and chargers.  Initially I was planning on bringing my laptop but I'm glad I didn't.

5) Hand lotion
I originally packed a travel-size thing of lotion, but that quickly ran out between the million hand washes you do while you are there.  I had to have Matt's mom bring me some on one of her trips back up to the hospital for us.

6) Pen and folder for paperwork
This was nice because there is so much we had to keep track of (feedings, diapers, etc) and so much paperwork to take home.  Next time I will bring several pens...they were always walking away!
7) A good manicure
Seems silly, but all of the pictures in the beginning you are holding the baby, and many are up really close.  I had some old nail polish on the first two days and that's all I see now when I look back at those pictures.  Granted I didn't know I was having a baby when I did, but next time my nails will be manicured from 30 weeks on!

No comments: