Sunday, June 9, 2013

Carter's Sock Monkey First Birthday Party

I still have a lot of stuff to blog about (now that all my photos are retrieved and safe) but I want to skip ahead and post about Carter's 1st birthday party! 

Matt and I always said that we would not throw a birthday party for any of our kids until they were old enough to ask for one.  When they are little and too young to remember we didn't want to go through all the trouble, plus we just thought it was kinda silly since neither of us really make a big deal of our birthdays. Also, in the last few months since Daddy died I've really had zero motivation to do anything so we discussed just having our parents over for pizza and a cupcake.

THEN...I started getting all sentimental about all we've been through in the past 4 years to get, keep, have and raise this baby.  And then thinking about Graeme and Daddy I decided that EVERYDAY should be a celebration.  That we will never again get to go back and have another first birthday party, and, by golly, we were going to celebrate and we were going to do it right.  (Plus, I found some sock monkey fabric and scrapbook paper and that was all it took to get my wheels spinning.)

What started out as 5 guests, a pizza and a cupcake turned into 35 guests, lunch, presents and a very delicious smash cake.  What can I say, once I get going on party planning I just can't stop!  And who knows if we will ever get to do this again....so BIG we went! And I think it turned out fabulous!

The Birthday Boy:









The Invitation:
This is actually what spurred my party planning.  It was too cute NOT to purchase and mail, so then I had to have a party to match! Plus I also ordered the matching thank you note :)


The Decor:
Thank God for a sock monkey themed nursery because most of the decor came straight out of his room.  The rest is mostly pictures I printed, onesies I saved, and scrapbooks I have.  And I have my husband to thank for the mantle and for the idea to put the pictures the photos in the "one" shape.  What would I do without that guy?!?
Dining room where all the desserts were
The only 10 pictures I have of Daddy and Carter

 His monthly birthday onesies...Just Born, 3, 6, 9 and 12 Months

 The gifts table

 I had out my pregnancy scrapbook, his baby book and I found a sock monkey scrapbook (thank you, Hob Lob) where I printed his monthly blog post and pictures

 All of my favorite pictures from his first year (narrowed down to about 90!)

 Newborn Carter, and pictures of me and Matt from our first birthdays


 "Monkey Munch" party favors

Carter's 1st Birthday Pictures

The Guests:
I was terrible about taking pictures during the party, but thankfully others grabbed my camera and snapped away.  Looking back my biggest regret is not taking pictures of and with everyone who was there, or at least having a sign-in sheet of some kind.  I'm just glad I got as many pictures as I did and HUGE THANKS go out to whoever took most of these pictures.  





The Food:
Ham and cheese sliders, PB&J's, chicken salad sandwiches, chips, bananas, monkey bread, pinwheels and I had a fruit salad I made that I forgot to put out!

The dessert table had cake, cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies and banana pudding.



I also had tea, lemonade and chocolate milk out to drink.  And I made everything except the monkey bread, which my mom brought.

The Smash Cake/ Happy Birthday:
This was definitely the highlight of the party!! We stripped Carter down and when we tried to put him in his high chair he threw a fit! And not just any fit, this was a pick-me-up-now-or-I-promise-to-never-let-you-sleep-again tantrum that the entire neighborhood could hear.  So we took him out and held him while we sang happy birthday and blew out the candles.  Matt gave him a lick of the icing from his finger, and after that Carter DOVE INTO THE CAKE!! I'm talking, face first and both hands shoveling cake into his mouth!! It was classic and a memory I hope to keep forever.  After a few bites we were able to transfer him back to his high chair where he snagged a few more bites before we decided he had enough.  I hope he is like this at every birthday party we have for him!






All in all, this was a labor of love and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat for my little one-year old!! I'm so, SO glad we did Carter's party a little bigger than we had planned and that it turned out so great.  More than anything I'm just glad that we have such wonderful family and friends in our lives that love our baby and celebrate with us.  Next year I'm envisioning a pool party!! :)

Carter Ryan- we love you and can't wait to celebrate all the rest of your days, birthdays or not, with you.  

Sources:
Invitation and Thank You Note- Kreated by Kristine
Happy Birthday Banner- me
Polka Dot Balloons- Party City
Cupcake Toppers- Kreated by Kristine
Drink Straws- Let's Party Creations
Monthly Onesie Stickers- Delightful Prints
Monkey Munch- Bakerella Cowgirl Cookies recipe
Printables, Labels and Food Tags- Digital Designs by Laura
1-Year Photos- Mannion's Memories
Cute Baby Boy- Me and Matty

2 comments:

Brittany said...

How precious!! You did such a wonderful job and I'm so glad you had a great day celebrating your sweet boy! Question...how do you print your blog posts? I like the idea of printing the monthly updates. :)

Daniel and Jamie said...

You did an AWESOME job! I am very impressed. =)