Friday, February 1, 2013

Carter: 8 Months


Monkey,
You are EIGHT MONTHS old today! Two-thirds of a year! To say that I've fallen deeper in love with you this month would be a very true statement.  You just have completely stolen my heart in the most vicious way and I am 100% addicted to you.  Addicted, I say.  At night while you are sleeping I crave you, and have to fight myself from going in and stealing snuggles.  During the day I don't mind your short catnaps because it means that I have more play time with you.  And I absolutely dread it when I have to leave you for any reason.  You are the sweetest addiction, little boy.

What have you been up to this month?  (Besides being the cutest boy I've ever seen, obviously!) Mainly your personality has really started to come out, as well as your teeth come in.  Your sitting up like a champ, rolling wherever you want to go and thinking about crawling sometime in the future.  You're getting really good at handling objects in your hands and throwing things you don't want.  You are sitting in a high chair when we eat at a restaurant and even eat small, soft items like mashed potatoes, puffs and yogurt melts.  And baby boy, you have the BEST little voice I've ever heard.

I think your teeth have really been the main story this month.  Your top two teeth cut through at the beginning of the month and your lateral incisors are almost in.  This makes for 6 teeth, buddy boy! Each time a new set comes through you have really been in pain, but fortunately for you (and me) you seem to get your teeth two at a time.  This is great because we only have to go through the refusal to eat, fussing, waking during the night and drooling half as much.  Now when I look at you and see those top two teeth you almost look like a different baby.  Much more grown up!

Your sleeping has regressed a little this month, but a lot has to do with your teeth.  You go down between 7:00 and 7:30 just fine and sleep soundly until about 5:00 when you want to nurse for a few minutes.  I'm sure by now you do this out of habit and are not really hungry, especially since you usually only eat for a few minutes before you are right back to snoozing.  But a few mornings a week I take this chance to bring you into bed with me and snuggle until it's time to get up in the morning.  Those mornings when I wake up with you next to me are my absolute favorite and might be the largest contributing factor to my addiction to you.  There is absolutely nothing better than waking up next to you.  Except on Saturdays when I can wake up next to you AND Daddy! Saturday mornings we usually have to rock-paper-scissors over who gets to snuggle with you :)

You are still taking 3 1-hour naps a day.  I know you are ready to go to a two nap schedule but you always seem to prefer short naps more frequently than two longer naps.  Of course, when Daddy is home on the weekends you usually nap for 2+ hours and make me look like a fool.  You still love to nap in the car but you no longer want to nap in our arms.  It makes me sad that I can't hold you during your nap anymore, but I also know you need your rest (and the house needs to get cleaned!)

I would say that you are sitting unassisted about 90% of the time.  You still take a spill every once in awhile but they are fewer and farther between than last month.  Now you are more likely to fall forward onto your belly so you can press up and rock on your hands and knees like you are wanting to crawl.  Daddy thinks you will crawl any second but I think it's still a few weeks away for you.  You get so frustrated once you are on your belly that I will be happy when you can move to get where you want to go.

You are nursing about 5 times a day and are eating solids for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Usually you have oatmeal for breakfast, a fruit or two for lunch and a veggie for dinner.  You are proving to be a little bit of a picky eater, loving some foods one day but not the next.  You love your fruits more than your veggies, except carrots.  You LOVE your carrots, as well as apples, pears and bananas.  You are also eating a lot of prunes these days so that everything stays smooth.

You have found your voice and talk and sing to us all day long.  My favorite is in the car when you just start singing and talking to yourself- I just wish I knew what you were saying! You wake up in the mornings talking to yourself, babble while you are in your highchair or jumper and try to imitate everything we are saying.  You respond when we call your or Coopers names and know how to get our attention when we are not looking at you.  It's like your saying "hey! over here!" so that we are always looking at you.  I can't wait to hear those first words (you babble "mamamamama" all day so I'm sure it will be "Mama") and finally start communicating with you more.


8 Month Stats:
Weight: 20 pounds (60%)
Length: 28 inches?
Eating: nursing around 6am, 8:00am, 12pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7:0opm
Bedtime: around 7:30pm
Awake: around 8:00am
Naps: around 10:00am, 1:00pm, and 3:30pm
Diapers: size 3 Huggies
Clothes: some 3-6 months, 9 months
Favorites: chewing on anything, babbling, playing peek-a-boo and being tickled
Development: sitting up, putting things in and taking things out of his mouth, pushing up on all 4's, responding to his name

No comments: