Thursday, January 31, 2013

Adventures in Baby Food Making

So Carter was slow to start baby food and he still is proving to be very picky, but he does love meal time! He is typically very happy playing in his high chair, although this week he's been pretty fussy while his top lateral incisors cut through.  He hangs out in his high chair while I make breakfast, lunch and dinner and eats while we eat.  I've had to break Matt of eating in front of the TV and start eating at the table with us.  It's actually really nice to sit down at night just the 3 of us and have dinner!

Since we are on a tight budget I'm making as much of Carter's food as possible.  We still keep a stash of the Gerber baby food on hand, especially for the fruits that are out of season and for PRUNES! Those are much easier to take with us than his homemade stuff.

I'm using a combo of this book and this website.  So far I've made carrots, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas, green beans, pears, apricots, zucchini  blueberries, and butternut squash.  The only thing we've found so far that Carter absolutely will NOT eat is the squash.  No matter how many times we try he always gags and spits out every bit he can.  Even if we get him started on one of his favorites like pears or carrots and try to sneak in a bite he will immediately make the saddest face and gag until it all comes up. No worries though since it only cost me $1.28!!

My only mistake so far has been the blueberries...I don't think I have saved any money there.  One pint cost me $3.28 and only made 6 ice cubes worth!  Ugh...you live, you learn.

I also think I've been making too much of each item.  Since he's still getting oatmeal for breakfast he only eats one or two fruits for lunch and one veggie for dinner.  Eat time I make a batch of something I've made a lot and have actually had to throw some out after it's expired.  It only lasts 6 weeks in the freezer and he cannot get through a huge batch in 6 weeks! Now I know to buy only one sweet potato or 3 apples at a time instead of a whole bunch.

So yay for saving money! I wish I had kept track of how much I have bought and spent, but I know for certain it's less than what I would have spent had I bought everything jarred.  And it's seriously SO EASY! One hour a week makes more than what I need and he eats.  So worth it knowing I'm saving money and feeding my baby the freshest food for his growing body.  I'm sure I won't do this forever but it's fun for now! :)

Love you, Monkey!!

No comments: