Thursday, January 17, 2013

STATE CHAMPS!!

Still playing catch-up...


KATY TIGERS STATE CHAMPS!!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it as long as Matt is coaching, I am SO PROUD of my husband! To win state at the 5A level once is every coaches dream and Matt has now done it 3 times in 7 seasons.  Wow.  Just wow.  Achievements like these don't happen overnight and definitely don't happen to coaches who put in a 40-hour work week.  This was done with dedication, sweat and old-fashioned hard work.  Matt put in 90+ hour work weeks without a day off since the beginning of August and was rewarded in the sweetest way.  I'm so blessed to have a husband who works so hard and will model that for our son.  Congrats!

So since I was already in Midlothian Saturday morning I just had a short trip to get to Cowboys Stadium Saturday afternoon.  Emily's wonderful husband, Eric, ended up driving me and Carter to the stadium and dropping us off at the door.  I was planning on driving us but I'm so glad we went with Eric because parking at Cowboys Stadium is absolutely atrocious and I don't think I would have made it inside by the time the game started.  Even with Eric dropping me off at the door it still took me 45 minutes to make it to our seats...ridiculous.  Whoever designed Cowboys Stadium should be fired.  Big thanks to Eric for driving to Arlington twice on Saturday.  

I made it to the section Mrs. Joseph was sitting in (and saving my seat) about 15 minutes before kickoff.    Just enough time to marvel at that huge screen that distracts from the field and get settled and get Carter a new diaper (CS bathrooms = no changing tables).  We were up in the third section and CS doesn't allow you to bring in a zoom lens so 99% of my pictures are from the TV screen and not the field.  The TV blocked our view of the press box so I couldn't get a picture of Matt either.

Carter had one of his worst days ever the day of the game.  I'm not sure if it was his teeth or the lingering brochiolitis but he was a huge fuss-pot the entire game.  Usually he's very happy and takes a great nap but he slept for maybe 20 minutes the entire 3-hour game.  He finally passed out afterwards when I had him wrapped up in the Moby.  I also think the volume at the stadium was distracting to him...it was insanely loud.

The game was definitely closer than we would have liked...we were actually behind and biting our nails for a good portion of the game.  We had field passes in the event of a win so we could join our guys on the field afterwards to celebrate and had planned to start our trek downstairs with 5 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, but it was so close at that point we were in our seats holding hands and praying! Finally we went ahead and Q sealed it with a pick (so sweet!) and after tears and a quick celebration we RAN downstairs.  On the way down we actually ended up scoring another touchdown to bring the score to 34-25 and we were able to watch it happen in the elevator.  Yes, the elevator.  Cowboys Stadium has televisions in some of the elevators...CRAZY!!

We made it to field-level in time to watch the last minute of the game.  The Katy fans were going crazy and it was just the BEST moment to watch 20,000 people go crazy for our team.  I wish my pictures were better and could really show the entire crowd, but from the field I was too low.  I will never forget that moment...standing on the field with my baby, watching thousands cheer for a team who has worked so hard.  So, so hard.  I took a moment to just close my eyes and take it in and remind myself that this is how the end of a season should feel.  This is what makes all the weekends and late nights worth it.  This is why Matt does what he does.  Sweetness!

We quickly found Matt after the game was over and got a huge, sweaty, happy hug.  I can't remember but I think Carter was still awake at this point but feel asleep shortly afterwards.  It felt like 10 seconds but I think we probably spent about 20 minutes on the field for the trophy presentations, medals and pictures.  I tried to get as many pics of Matt with the coaches and players as I could.

To my Coach,
I love you and I'm so insanely proud of you.  Always and forever.
A

No comments: