Friday, June 17, 2011

Good news and bad news

I had my hysteroscopy on Wednesday and received both good news and bad news from the doctor.  We were hoping this would just be a routine procedure so they could clear us for future fertility treatments, but the doctor found a uterine septum.  Basically it’s a malformation that both prevents you from getting pregnant and malnourishes any pregnancy that happens to implant.  The fetus is not connected to the mom’s blood supply via the uterus and is actually connected to the septum eventually ending the pregnancy.   The doctor was not able to tell us for certain, but it’s safe to say this is what caused us to lose our angel baby in September. 

They doctor was able to remove the entire septum (all 12mm of it!) and thus, we will not be able to “try” for the next few months while my uterus heals.  I know this is a step in the right direction and will definitely assist us in getting pregnant in the future, but right now I’m just really frustrated.  I’m frustrated that this was not caught sooner in the up-teen procedures and surgeries I’ve had in the past year.  I’m frustrated that had we caught this soon we might have had a different ending with our first pregnancy.  And I’m frustrated that we are that much further away  from our insemination we had scheduled.  UGH!  Can’t we just catch a break?!?

And the even better news is that the estrogen I have to take in the meantime to heal my uterus has wonderful side effects. 

Pity party over.  Thanks for listening. 

6 comments:

Ally said...

Ugh. Thanks for sharing. :) I am praying for you guys. I can't imagine how tough this must be. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.

Robby and Stephanie said...

Sorry for your heavy hearts. It sounds like this Dr is a good one! It's going to be a long few months, but GREAT things WILL come.
Love you.

Grace Meeker said...

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery was successful!!! Praying for you guys and your future!! =)

Sara said...

love you amanda!! I'll keep the prayers coming. I'm glad you are now in good hands with this doctor- and can't wait for months to come :) We are all here for yall on this very difficult journey.

Kathleen said...

My heart truly aches for y'all!! You have a right to be frustrated and angry. It will happen, but that's not much consolation now. Love y'all!

Mechelle said...

Love, hugs, and prayers to you and Matt. You deserve to be frustrated. I hope your wait is over soon!