Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sweet Home College Station

Sweet home College Station,
where the skies are maroon,
sweet home College Station,
Lord I'm coming home to you.
-Roger Creager
My absolute favorite place in the world is College Station, Texas. Most people would say some exotic beach or another favorite vacation destination, but not me. Nope. I will take College Station over anywhere else in the world anytime. Why is that you ask? I'm not 100% sure about this answer but it's mainly just the feeling I get as I drive up Highway 6 and pass the water tower. The memories of the people I met and the person I became while living there makes College Station my favorite place on earth. Not to mention all of the wonderful restaurant's and Northgate!
So this weekend we packed up the new truck and headed north to the promise land for the state 7-on-7 football tournament. I am so thankful this tournament is held in College Station every year giving me the perfect excuse for an annual visit. Please, God, don't ever let this tournament move to Austin!!!
For those of you who do not know, 7-on-7 is exactly what it sounds like. 7 players from one football team playing 7 players from another team. There are different rules, no coaches, no pads and no linemen and provides summer practice for football teams that choose to participate.
On Friday we played 3 teams: Plano, Westbrook and Canyon. We lost the first game to Plano and won the second 2 against Westbrook and Canyon. It was HOT! I am thankful to have been able to sit with the coaches under the sun shade they brought.
Did I mention we ate at Freebird's not once but TWICE on Friday? :)
Saturday the tournament is set up with a consolation and championship bracket that is determined by your Friday games. We were set up in the championship bracket and you play until you lose. We ended up losing our first game to Round Rock Stony Point Saturday morning. :( We both played really well and it was a close game. The good news is that Stony Point ended up winning the whole tournament so at least we lost to the eventual champions!
Sorry there are no pictures, I was concentrating so hard on not having a heatstroke I forgot to get my camera.

No comments: