Thursday, July 9, 2009

A New Living Room

Since coming back from the lake I jumped right on painting our living room. It is something that has been on my To Do list since we moved in around Christmas but am just now getting around to. I knew it would take awhile since we have extra-tall ceilings and a ton of furniture to move around and boy was I right!

My wonderful dad came over on Monday ready to paint and we made our first of 5 trips to Home Depot. I originally wanted to paint the living room the same color as the kitchen (Colorado Clay) as they are next to each other and it would be easy to just continue the same color. WRONG! Home Depot does not carry KWAL paint, but if I wanted to bring in the paint they could color-match it.
So back to Home Depot we headed after picking up the paint we have left over to color-match. WRONG again! They did not have a color that matched my kitchen color so I had a dilemma- go with the color closest to the Colorado Clay color of the kitchen, or go in the opposite direction and find another color for the living room. What's a girl to do?!? So I found a packet of colors I liked and ended up buying 2 gallons of Bridal Pink (a light pink for the living room) and 1 gallon of a mauve-y color for the back porch room.

We get home, move all the furniture, tape all the walls and windows and get started only to find out we were WRONG again! The pink was awful. The most awfully awful you can imagine! It turned out to look like pepto bismol and totally clashed with all of the furniture. Grrr!!! So back to Home Depot for the 3rd time.

This time Matt and I looked online before we left and decided to go in the direction of green. A bold choice but I think we finally got it RIGHT! We decided on a color called Olivine and I love it! See!


We also used the leftover Colorado Clay from the kitchen to paint that room by the back door that leads to the back porch. I really like the contrast in colors but continuity from the kitchen. What do you think?



I also had to go back to Home Depot a 4th time to buy an additional gallon of Olivine and a 5th time for more roller brushes and painters tape. Sheesh! All in all the entire project took us 3 days.
Next project- curtains!

Side note #1: Notice my precious boy who was too tired to move for the pictures. :)
Side note #2: Emily don't think you are off the hook for helping me paint just because I already did the living room! I will find something else to paint for the next time you come see me!
Side note #3: I better have a little girl so I can use that Bridal Pink for a nursery someday!

2 comments:

Mechelle said...

You are funny.

Robby and Stephanie said...

Love it! Yay, first major home project... check!