Monday, February 3, 2014

Madeline and Molly's Baby Shower

Almost as soon as we found out we were expecting twin girls talks of a baby shower began.  I was hesitant to have a real baby shower since they are typically reserved for your first child.  And I didn't want people to feel like they had to bring two gifts instead of one.  I went back and forth over the idea, and finally my mom suggested we have an "open house" type shower: guests bring their gifts unwrapped to display and come and go as they please.  No shower games, no opening of the gifts...just a small celebration of the babies (and mama!)




Once I realized how much stuff we would actually still need to purchase, this idea of a "open house" shower really seemed perfect.  And after I got put on bed rest I really needed something like this where I could sit and greet guests but still be present at my own shower.  Plus bringing gifts unwrapped helped me not have to bend and stretch as much.




When people asked me what we needed I always replied "diapers!"  It's not the most glamorous gift to give or receive, but it honestly was our biggest "need."  We ended up receiving 2, 226 diapers...enough to last us 4 months! And to think, that would actually be 8 months worth of diapers had this been a singleton pregnancy!



Laura, Stephanie, Sara, Emily and Missy threw the shower at Nana's house.  This also meant that I got a weekend of Emily all to myself! (Sorry, Eric!) She was absolutely invaluable to me that weekend...hosting the shower, loading and unloading all the gifts, logging all the gifts and putting away almost everything.  There's no way I would have survived the weekend without going into labor without that girl!






We were blessed to be handed-down enough girl clothes that we won't have to buy anything for at least the first year.  But we also received some pretty cute twin pairs of clothes...something we don't have with hand-me-downs.  I can't wait for the girls to be here so they can wear everything!

Emily and her mom made the desserts...aren't they talented?!


I'm so thankful so many people came out to celebrate Madeline and Molly! We seriously have the best family and friends anyone could ask for and the girls are blessed with lots of love.  They will have so many "aunts" and "uncles" who love them! Just thinking about how many people have prayed over them (and me!) makes me cry.  Having someone to love you is special, but having someone to love your babies is priceless. 



No comments: