Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mama Kay

While we were in Florida I got a call I had been dreading for over a year.  Our beloved Tri Delta house mom, Mama Kay, passed away at the age of 74. 

Pictures before crash 525

Mama Kay and her husband, Daddy Bert, moved to College Station in 1994 to serve as Tri Delta “house parents.”  Basically their job was the live in the Tri Delta sorority house and supervise, advise, feed and love all of us.  They were the BEST!  We were the only sorority at A&M that had both a house mom AND dad, so we were very spoiled.  They loved us like none other and put our needs before theirs.

moms and me

Mama Kay ran a tight ship, and was not afraid to speak her mind about ANYTHING! She laughed with us, cried with us, and most importantly, made the best MAMA QUESO around!  She walked the floor during rush, made sure we all ate dinner together and was a wonderful parental figure for us while we all lived away from home. 

100_0806

During my time at A&M Mama Kay was the first house mother to ever be inducted to Tri Delta.  This was a HUGE honor and one she definitely deserved.  I cherish the memory of her being announced at her first chapter meeting- meetings she was not allowed to attend until she was officially a “member.”

Pictures before crash 760

Pictures before crash 768

I don’t know how I would have made it through those 4 years at A&M with Mama Kay.  I lived in the Tri Delta house the year my dad had his heart surgery.  It was a major operation and Mama Kay loved on me so much during the time when all I wanted to do was go home and be with my dad.  She was such a comfort to me during that time and I will forever be grateful to her.  She again opened her arms to me when Big Daddy passed away in 2005.  That was the first real, deep loss I had encountered and the love of my adopted “grandmother” was just what I needed.  I love, love, love Mama Kay for her endless hugs and warm heart.

100_2059

Mama Kay- while I am on this Earth I will NEVER forget the time I got to spend with you.  My life is definitely better for knowing you and spending time with you.  Please look over Daddy Bert from your house in Heaven until he gets to join you.  Know that you have changed HUNDREDS of girls lives in your short time here on Earth.  I love you, Mama Kay.

100_1118

1 comment:

Robby and Stephanie said...

So sweet, Amanda. I'm sorry for your loss and am grateful she was there for you when you needed her. Love ya.