Monday, March 7, 2011

On my nightstand

For as much as I read I really should do more book reviews.  Seeing as I just finished a thrilling series I thought now would be a good time to dive in!

hungergamescatchingfiremockingjay

Suzanne Collins, you sucked me in!  I’ve seen so many of my students reading these books this year and after a STRONG recommendation from our reading teacher I decided they would be my first purchase on my new Kindle!  It’s taken me all of 2 weeks to get through these 3 books and there were several nights I had to MAKE myself put the book down and go to sleep or I would have a pulled an all-nighter to keep reading!

The Hunger Games is about a post-apocalyptic America, ruled by the Capitol, that forces 2 kids, ages 12-18, from each “district” to fight to the death each year for entertainment.  It sounds really violent but Suzanne Collins does a really good job focusing on the role of government and love story without getting too gory. 

You will fall in love with Peeta and cheer on Katniss through the arena.  Without giving away too many details, Catching Fire and Mockingjay continue the story of Panem and the journey their government takes them on.  If you are looking for a good book and have some free time I highly recommend these books!

After literally RUNNING into school the morning after I finished Hunger Games and RAVING to the reading teacher who recommended it to me, I was asked by our librarian to lead a student book club at school to discuss the book.  You would not believe the response I got!  We had to split the group up because there were too many kids!  The group I ended up with really had some mature thoughts on the book and the role of government in their lives.  I had so much fun talking to the kids and fully plan on leading another group on Catching Fire soon. 

No comments: