Monday, March 31, 2014

Madeline and Molly's Birth Story: Part 2

Part 1

I went back to see Dr P on Thursday, February 20.  This time my BP had risen (155/105) and even after laying on my left side for several minutes it was still very high.  Everyday since the previous Thursday we had discussed delivery, so I was sure when I saw my BP numbers she would discuss a c-section for that evening.  Instead she opted for admission to the hospital with overnight continuous monitoring and blood work every 6 hours.  I was really pleased with this decision because it was the best of both worlds: if I needed to deliver I was already at the hospital and we could go ahead with the c-section, and if my preeclampsia was manageable then I could stay pregnant for another day.  I was honestly happy with both of those options.

So they got my admitted and checked into my room (4018) at Methodist that afternoon.  I wasn't allowed to eat anything since a c-section was always an option at any point.  I was allowed water, ice chips, popsicles, and sherbert which I took full advantage of! My blood work came back that evening and my liver enzymes were starting to rise, meaning I was showing signs of HELLP Syndrome.  The nurse said she thought I would deliver in the next 24 hours.

Around 2:00am on Friday, February 21 they did my blood work again.  I didn't sleep much overnight because I was just feeling terrible.  I remember crying and pleading with God to either deliver the babies or help me to feel better.  I was at rock bottom and just could not take anymore.  I wanted my girls to stay put for several more weeks, but thinking I was hours away from delivery for over a week was taking it's toll on me. On top of that I was worrying about my blood pressure and my health constantly, which I'm sure didn't help my pressures the entire time.  When my results from my blood work came back that my platelets had dropped I knew delivery was imminent and I actually got to sleep for about 2 hours.  The relief that my pregnancy was almost over was a huge weight lifted off of me and I no longer stressed about me dying and leaving Matt with 3 kids to raise (my worst fear the entire pregnancy.)

Dr P texted me about 6:30 and told me it was go time! She was off that day but was going to head into the hospital to deliver me as soon as she was available.  I was so thankful that she was willing to come in on her day off.  Knowing that she was going to be the doctor on the other side of the curtain from me in the operating room helped to keep me calm while we were waiting the rest of the morning.



I spent the next 30 minutes calling all of our family to try to get them up to the hospital in time.  Believe it or not my first call was not to Matt but actually to his dad! He asked me the night before if it was safe for him to go fishing Friday morning at a lake about 2 hours away from the hospital.  I told him yes and had a mild panic attack when I realized he was out of town.  Luckily I caught him just as he was about to put his boat in the water and he turned around and made it to the hospital in time for us to walk back into the operating room.  Next I called Matt who was already at work for the day.  It was a half-day of school for him and his classes ended at 9:38, so I told him to stay at work and he should be able to come up to the hospital after classes ended.  At 7:30 the nurse walked in and told me I was scheduled for c-section at 9:00am.  Oops!! So I immediately called Matt back and told him to scramble around for a substitute and get his butt to the hospital.  By this time school had started so he was freaking out worrying about me, worrying about getting a sub and making sub plans, and getting to the hospital on time.  We lucked out and he walked in about 8:30.  PawPaw, Mama K, Nana, Carter and Aunt Stephanie all got there shortly thereafter and then we were whisked off to the operating room.





I walked into the OR shortly after 9:00am.  They quickly administered my spinal and got me positioned on the table covered by the warming blankets.  It took them awhile to get the rest of the OR set up and I remember thinking about how Matt was probably stressing outside the OR because it was taking so long for the nurses to come and get him.  I had the absolute sweetest anesthesiologist who sat and talked to me about anything and everything. She kept my mind off things while I was being prepped and talked me through what Dr P was doing during the actual surgery.  She was invaluable and made the entire process so easy.  I'm eternally grateful to her for the way she treated me that day.

Matt says he walked into the OR about 9:40.  It was very cramped with two isolettes and the NICU team in the room, as well as the nurses and doctors.  Matt was having to crouch down very close next to me to be sure he didn't see anything over the curtain.  I didn't even know they had started the surgery until I felt the tugging and pulling in my abdomen.  All of a sudden I felt them pull Madeline out and I told Matt "She's out! Madeline is out!"  We didn't hear anything but our hospital has TV screens where you can watch the baby on the isolette.  Sure enough, there she was laying on the isolette being cared for by the NICU team.  About that time we heard her cries. And I remember just staring at her and being stunned at how much she looked like Carter! I kept telling Matt through my tears "She looks just like Carter!" Madeline Kate was born at 9:46am weighing 4 pounds 4 ounces and measuring 16.5 inches long.

Right after Madeline was born I felt them tugging and pulling for Molly.  This went on for a long time and it was obvious they were struggling to get her out.  I swear she was wrapped around my rib! I heard Dr P say "you grab that arm, I'll get this leg, now pull" to the other doctor.  Molly came out screaming and joined her sister in the isolette next to her.  We couldn't see them both on the TV at the same time so Matt went over to be with them.  From what I could see of Molly she looked different from Madeline and I could tell she was much smaller.  They announced both girls Apgar scores to be 8 and 9.  Molly Ann was born at 9:49am weighing 3 pounds 10 ounces and measuring 17 inches long.

It didn't take long for NICU to decide that Madeline needed assistance breathing and they whisked her off to the NICU.  I knew they would both likely need assistance breathing so I tried my best to focus on Molly and not worry about them.  Matt was stuck over by the isolettes and couldn't get to the side Molly was on through all the people.  He was able to see them operating on me which was his one request NOT to happen during this c-section.  He decided to go to the NICU with Madeline, which I'm so glad he did so she wasn't by herself.

Molly was stable and after getting cleaned off was brought to me while Dr P finished stitching me up.  By now I was by myself on that side of the curtain so I was able to just sit and stare at her.  It was such a precious moment for me.  I talked to her and told her all about Carter and me and her dad.  She quickly closed her eyes and just slept while I held her.  Eventually the anesthesiologist came back over and asked if I wanted a picture.  She took a picture on her phone and emailed it to me right there on the spot.  To this day it's my favorite picture from their birthday.
(It looks very yellow in this picture but it doesn't look that way in person)

Not only did I have a twin c-section that day, but I also had my tubes tied and kept my placenta(s).  I don't know if Matt and I are done having kids, but I know I'm done birthing them.  It's just too hard on my body and too dangerous for me to ever be pregnant again.  I feel good about this decision because we could still do IVF and use a surrogate if we decide we want another child with our DNA.  We've also discussed adoption at some point (I'm more interested in this option than he is.)  Either way if we decide to have more kids we could make it happen without my tubes.  I also got my placentas (since the girls were fraternal they each had their own placenta, therefore leaving me with two placentas) encapsulated.  This was a personal decision that I'm very happy with and seeing wonderful results from.  It's definitely "out there" and not mainstream, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who is pregnant or plans on being pregnant again.  Getting my tubes tied and keeping my placentas made my surgery a little longer than a normal c-section.  After it was all over Dr P handed me my tubes (they were in small containers ready to go to pathology) and let me hold them to ensure they were truly gone! It was pretty cool! She also arranged for my placentas to get put on ice and taken back to my room.

To be continued...

No comments: