Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How-to Tutu

I’ve received a few texts/emails about the tutus for Ally (well, really for baby Laurel if we are being specific) so here are your basic instructions:

*disclaimer: these are by NO MEANS “professional” tutu’s, nor I am a “professional” in the art of tutu-ing.  This is just a compilation of my knowledge from what I have learned in the past two weeks.  I’m sure you can learn much more from my friends YouTube and Google. 

1) Head to your nearest fabric store and buy:

  • tulle in various colors (I used the softer tulle since they were for an infant, the nicer and sturdier tulle can be used for the older ones)
  • elastic
  • ribbon (optional)
  • scissors
  • Measuring tape

Ally 001

2) Find a baby/little girl about the size that you need and measure:

  • waist
  • length from waist to knee

3) Measure your elastic for the waist and knot the end

Ally 002

Ally 003

4) For your skirt you will want your strips of tulle to be double the length from the baby’s waist to knee.  For a 3 month tutu I cut strips 13 inches long.   I also found that the wider you cut the strips the better the tutu looked.

Ally 004

Ally 005

5) Once all your strips are cut you are ready to start wrapping them around the elastic.  I found it best to loop the elastic around the back of a chair so I didn’t have to hold it. 

Fold one of your strips in half and loop it through the elastic like so.  Don’t pull too tight until you have all of your strips on the elastic.

Ally 008

Ally 009

Ally 007

Once you have wrapped the entire length of the elastic in your strips on tulle go back through and re-tighten the tulle.  You will be amazed at how much it will shrink once all the tulle is attached.

6) All done!  Sit back and admire your work!

Ally 010

1 comment:

Robby and Stephanie said...

Impressive! So cute - you will have to post pictures of baby wearing the tutus, once she is born and all :) Have fun this weekend!